CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Easter baking

Hi Fellow Crafters

Yesterday the kids woke up thinking it was Easter Sunday and they were ready to go egg hunting :-) So you can imagine their disappointment when I told them they still had to wait another whole week. I decided that to lessen the disappointment,  a fun Easter related activity was in order. My boys love baking so I decided to whip up some Shortbread cookies, with their help, in the shape of Easter eggs for them to decorate.

This is a very simple one I use.

Recipe:
Ingredients:
600 grams plain flour (sifted)
240 grams icing sugar (sifted)
420 grams butter

How To: 
1. Cream icing sugar and softened butter together well.
2. Add the flour and mix well. (I use my K-beater attachment during this step) 

3. Roll the dough out on a well floured surface. Either into a sausage and cut into circles or roll out flat 
    and use cookie cutters.
Bake at 180C for 10 to 15 minutes.


When it came to cutting out the cookies I wanted an egg shape but don't have an oval cookie cutter. I needed to get creative and this is what I did. 
1. I took a plastic cup.


2. I squeezed the top lip of the cup until it formed an oval.


3. I used this to cut out my oval "egg" cookies.

I also had a bunny and a chick cookie cutter which we used as well. 




For the decorating I decided to make some running icing so the boys could "paint" their "eggs". For this I took three bowls and placed a cup of sifted icing sugar into each I then got the boys to add food coloring and water and stir. The water was adjusted after stirring to make the icing runny enough for use.


The boys then got decorating.



And viola- painted egg cookies, bunnies and chicks.


Needless to say the boys had a blast. What a surprise, a lot of icing was consumed before it even got onto the biscuits!


Happy Easter Crafting.

No comments: