CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The VERY Hungry Caterpillar

Hi Fellow Crafters
I came across this idea -> here, and as my theme for the next 2 weeks at school is the foods we eat, I decided to use the idea and make props to go with the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar. I just looked at the pics in the book and drew out the pictures onto the felt.  I reinforced all the pieces with fusible web and on some foods I sewed details (ice cream cone, cherry pie, and cupcake wrapper) and on others I used my copic markers to add sprinkles (ice cream and cup cake) and seeds (the strawberry)  and bumps on the skin (oranges).
I made a "caterpillar" out of a piece of crushed stretch velvet onto which I glued some googly eyes. I just cut a rectangular piece and folded it in half, I rounded off the top part of one end (the head end) and sewed a channel in the opposite end, through which I threaded some elastic so that the caterpillar doesn't come off my arm during story time.
 

And this is what it looks like once the caterpillar has eaten all the food.



Happy Crafting

2 comments:

Lolis said...

What a great idea!! It is very cute!Your students are going to love it!

Julie Gallagher said...

OH THIS AWESOME, just had to highlight it our blog - love all your fabulous ideas! Wish my little girls were in your class!
http://youareingoodcompany.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-good-hands_16.html